Today, I’ll reveal to you how I turned a very dingy and dirty curbside find into a stunningly fun and flirty storage dresser for my family room! You can read about my trash picking adventure here, but how I acquired this gem is not nearly as exciting as how I transformed it with just a can of paint and some new hardware.
- Clean & Prep
The dresser sat in my garage for a while until I found the time to clean it thoroughly. Notice my supplies included my daughter’s video monitor. Gotta love nap time. I first removed the drawer pulls and tossed them because I knew I wanted to replace them with something stylish and fun. Then, I vacuumed the loose dirt out of the tiny grooves with my hand-held vacuum. Finally, I wiped it down really well using some microfiber cloths dampened with a solution of very warm water mixed with a couple cap-fulls of TSP. It’s a great product to remove dirt, grime, and stuck on grease or goo that sometimes gets caked onto furniture. I use TSP any time I want to paint furniture since it removes anything that might prevent paint from adhering to the piece. Another tip is to always use gloves when handling a chemical. Your skin is like a sponge, so treat it accordingly. Let the piece dry thoroughly before painting. I usually wait at least a few hours or the next day.
I took advantage of a nice sunny day and painted each of the drawers with 2 to 3 coats of CeCe Caldwell’s Carolina Sun Yellow, purchased online from Glitter Farm. Chalk paint dries very quickly, so on this warm breezy day, I finished all of the coats in no time at all. Just look how bright and cheerful this yellow is! I admit, this color is definitely not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but I love that it’s the first thing I see when I walk into my house. It’s one of my happy colors for sure!
I had to wait for another afternoon to paint the body of the dresser, but I did so in the same exact manner. Nothin’ to it. Note that I did not paint the inside of the drawers and I also skipped painting the inside of the dresser. Eventually, I’d like to add some contact paper with a graphic design or some decoupage paper to the inside of the drawers, but that’s a whole other project and an entirely different post!
3. New Hardware
After I was done with the paint job, I didn’t want to keep it in the garage anymore. It was too pretty and I didn’t want it getting dusty again, nor did I want to risk bicycle handles or recycling bins being scraped against it. So, I brought it inside to finish the next couple of steps.
I went to the craft & hobby store and picked out some new hardware. I normally would never have spent $10/pull, but since I dug this baby out of the trash, I felt that I could splurge on exactly what I wanted for the hardware. That’s the beauty of these kinds of projects! If you don’t want to shell out that much dough for hardware, the thrift store and flea markets are terrific resources for finding bags of old hardware removed from furniture. There are so many ways to update old metal hardware. Pinterest is a great resource for ideas on that topic.
Unfortunately, when I got the new drawer pulls home, the holes in the drawers
didn’t line up. So I measured and broke out my trusty cordless drill and made pilot holes exactly where I needed them. Then, I simply screwed on the little bolts that came with the hardware, stood back, and admired the new look!
The last step…and I actually should have done this BEFORE I put the hardware on…was to seal my lemony yellow masterpiece with a topcoat of some kind. I am loving CeCe Caldwell’s clear wax these days. I’ve sealed and buffed the top and the drawer fronts, but I haven’t gotten around to doing the sides yet. Most of the projects around my home are usually not 100% complete. What can I say? It’ll nag at me long enough and I’ll eventually get around to it.
This last step was sort of unexpected. You see, after painting the drawer sides, the drawers didn’t slide in and out very smoothly due to friction. They were hard to pull open and it got pretty annoying really quick. So, I grabbed a regular white wax candle stick and rubbed it on the sides of the drawers and on the runners inside the dresser. Perfecto! This is a trick that you can use for sticky wooden windows too.
Now, my husband has somewhere to store his growing Yankee Candle collection! Yes, he has one. Don’t ask questions. I love that he has a feminine side. I highly doubt any of his friends read my blog, so I think his secret’s safe. I use the other drawers to store the kids’ sunscreen, sunglasses, and bug spray for easy access when running out of the door, and extra lap blankets for movie nights.